[Flent-users] IRTT UDP-lite support

Pete Heist pete at heistp.net
Tue Mar 12 15:17:17 EET 2019

> On Mar 9, 2019, at 10:34 AM, Pete Heist <pete at heistp.net> wrote:
>>
>> It is not because of it's additional support for a partial checksum
>> that I favor trying to make UDP-lite more deployable.
>
> Aha, ok! In that case I’ll put it on the list for first just supporting UDP-lite with a regular full checksum. It should be easy (said the sailor, unawares of the kraken). The partial checksum for measuring corruption can be down the road.

Unfortunately this isn’t a one-liner in Go, as the value 0 is hardcoded for the protocol argument passed in to the socket function.

It should be possible with a raw socket and making the UDP packet myself (not hard), but that requires either root privileges or cap_net_raw and looking at all proto 136 packets, which I don’t love. I’m still asking around and either way I’ll get it done at some point or another. Maybe the Go team would take a patch to add “udplite” as a new “network” argument, but I doubt it, as OS support is limited pretty much to Linux and FreeBSD.