[Flent-users] SmokePing probe

Pete Heist peteheist at gmail.com
Sun Feb 18 21:14:19 EET 2018

> On Feb 18, 2018, at 7:11 PM, Toke Høiland-Jørgensen <toke at toke.dk> wrote:
>
> Pete Heist <peteheist at gmail.com> writes:
>
>> The author pulled the probe in pretty quickly, so it’s already upstream. Some samples:
>>
>> https://www.drhleny.cz/bufferbloat/smokeping/irtt_smokeping.png <https://www.drhleny.cz/bufferbloat/smokeping/irtt_smokeping.png>
>>
>> https://www.drhleny.cz/bufferbloat/smokeping/irtt_smokeping2.png
>> <https://www.drhleny.cz/bufferbloat/smokeping/irtt_smokeping2.png>
>
> Awesome, nice work!
>
> Are you using some kind of management interface for your 70 smokeping
> instances, or is it all manual? :)

It’s a single smokeping instance configured with 70 targets, divided by region. So it’s one host that does all the pinging to each of the target hosts. I didn’t configure it originally, so will be finding out more as I convince them to deploy irtt on at least some of the hosts for comparison with the ping results.

Ultimately I’m trying to figure out what if any queues are building in the backhaul and if aqm would help there or not, however I can figure out how to do that. I hope to also try flent runs within the backhaul, but I’d like to be able to somehow measure how the queues are handling real world traffic as well...